Without going full Marie Kondo on you, there's no denying the satisfaction of a spring clean. There's a certain thrill in clearing out your things so that only your favourite and most necessary items remain. The process can get almost Hunger Games-y in its ruthlessness. But it's a challenge we relish (ba dum *tss*). This spring, we're putting a twist on the traditional clean by challenging ourselves to think about how we can repurpose our belongings rather than simply chucking them out and buying more stuff. Whether you're an expert crafter or a DIY novice, there are some amazing ways that you can make the most of what you already own. Here is a round-up of some of our favourites to help you get started!
A good place to start is to use any jars you have lying around. No doubt you have by now amassed a mountain of Rubies in the Rubble jars which, once you've gobbled up the delicious relish inside, can be given a second life, from canning to candle holders. Here is a brilliant list of ways you can upcycle them.
2. Wine shelves are a great way to spruce up your living room on the cheap. Collect them at your local wine seller and use them as storage or shelving. A single crate can make a great bathroom shelf or you can stack several and create a shelving unit or bookcase. Keep their natural wood for a rustic look or add a lick of paint for added DIY points. Check out some inspiration here and get stuck in with this tutorial.
3. If you have lots of old books lying around, instead of gathering dust, why not transform them into a book shelf with this guide
4. If you're not sure what to do with the stack of tins that you always tell yourself will come in handy, here
are some fantastic decorative ideas to turn them into anything from vases, to plant pots and desk organisers. If you're of a green fingered persuasion or just love to cook, you could even turn old tea tins into herb pots
5. If you're feeling like you're wardrobe needs a makeover, instead of dashing out to the shop to panic buy at Zara, why not rework some old favourites? If you're looking to up your shoe game, a glue-gun and some pom-poms can go a long way! Check out these amazing DIY pom pom shoes
which make for some serious Spring/ Summer glam. Or if you have some strappy sandals that need some love, why not add some tassles
for some instant sass? This DIY will require a little more time and effort, but is definitely worth it! And last but not least, if you're looking to add some bling to your outfit, these jewelled sandals
are an easy way of bringing some sparkle!
6. This is possibly one for the more advanced crafter but adding a little embroidery to your jeans or denim jacket adds a personal touch that gives old jeans a new life! Click here for a step-by-step guide!
Get in touch with your favourite DIY ideas and let us know how you get on!