by Jenny Costa, founder of Rubies
This is my absolute favourite thing to have on sourdough toast... Curled up with a cup of tea on a cold winters afternoon = heaven
Try it with coconut butter instead of cows butter for yummy twist!
- 2 kg. blackberries
- 450ml. water
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1-1.5kg Sugar depending on juice collected (see below)
- muslin cloth
- big deep pan
1. Rinse and drain the berries and put them in a pan with the water and lemon juice.
2. Simmer until the berries are soft.
3. Then pour all into a muslin cloth and leave to hang over a large bowl or pan over night.
4. Weigh the extracted juice and put in a pan.
5. Bring to the boil and stir in the sugar - allowing 500g of sugar to each 1/2 litre of juice.
6. Boil rapidly to setting point - stirring all the time.
7. Once setting point is reached, pour into clean, sterilised jars while its still hot.
8. Seal and Label!
Tips for sterilizing jam jars: put them in the dishwasher on a hot wash or clean well in hot soapy water then dry in a warm oven