Alicia's Black Bean Stew with Top Banananana
A crowd-pleasing stew that brings the sunshine with a helping of Top Banana ketchup at the end. Take yourself on holiday!
- 2 onions 1 diced, 1 roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp rapeseed or coconut oil
- 50g ginger, roughly chopped
- small bunch coriander, leaves and stalks separated
- 3 tbsp jerk seasoning
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 vegetable stock cubes, crumbled
- 1kg sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 x 400g cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 450g jar roasted red pepper, cut into thick slices
- 1 lime
- salad: cucumber, fennel, apple, thinly sliced
- coconut rice
Gently soften the diced onion in the oil in a big pan or casserole.
Meanwhile, whizz together the roughly chopped onion, ginger, coriander stalks and jerk seasoning with a hand-held blender. Add to the softened onion and fry until fragrant. Stir in the thyme, chopped tomatoes, vinegar and stock cubes with 600ml water and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 mins, then drop in the sweet potatoes and simmer for 10 mins more. Stir in the beans, peppers and some seasoning, and simmer for another 5 mins until the potatoes are tender. Roughly chop most of the coriander leaves and stir in.
Serve on top of a bed of coconut rice with a matchstick salad, loads of squeezed lime and a good dollop of Top Banana ketchup.