Serves 4-5 generously.
- 1 small pumpkin ( 300g)
- 1 shallot diced
- 1 beetroot diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp. Rubies Spicy Tomato Relish
- 150g butter
- 1 tsp dried oregano & thyme
- 200ml red wine
- 100g goats cheese
- 350g risotto rice
- 300g parmesan ( or vegetarian safe parmesan)
- 800g-900g chicken stock ( to make this veggie use vegetable stock)
- Salt& Pepper
- Turn on your oven to 180 degrees. Dice the pumpkin into small pieces (around 3cm), place onto a baking tray, over in olive oil, and bake for around 25 minutes, until softened. Using a blender, add the garlic and the pumpkin then puree completely. (should take 2 minutes)
- Dice the beetroot into small chunks (around 2cm) and the shallot into small pieces. In a heavy bottomed frying pan, fry together until softened. Add the pureed pumpkin and the wine.
- Add the risotto rice, and keep stirring until the pumpkin mix has completely coated the rice. Add 150ml every 5 minutes ( as the rice keeps absorbing the liquid). This is a hearty, thick risotto, so don’t be too worried if it looks thick. Add more stock until you achieve your perfect texture. This entire process should take around half an hour, constantly stirring, until all the stock has been completely absorbed. The rice should have doubled in size and you will have a thick creamy texture.
- Add the relish, oregano, thyme parmesan and salt and pepper. Put a lid on the risotto pan and leave to cool slightly five minutes before adding the goats cheese (on top). Serve immediately with some crusty bread.
Recipe & Photography by The Culinary Bee